Monday, November 21, 2011

CHILI! (Wendy's Style, Without the *BURPS*)

Please pass the milk!  



Put on your apron, get out your soup pot.

It's time to make some soul-warmin' chili!

One time, I decided to go to Wendy's and analyze why I sometimes craved their chili.  I always regretted actually eating it because it is GREASY!  I can't stand greasy chili. I don't want to see grease floating on the top, and I don't want to see grease on the bowl when I'm done!  YUCK!  Makes me feel a little queasy.


Well, anyway, I went and looked into my tiny yellow bowl of chili with the grinning
 pig-tailed girl on it--and said, "OH!  I get it!  It's CHUNKY!"

It had onions, celery, little bits of chili peppers, and it was SPICY!  I could see the black pepper, taste the chili powder...so I came home and got online and hunted up the recipe that seemed like it would most closely resemble Wendy's...and I knew I could make it MINUS those burps, but retain the zing and the warmth.


I hope this works for you, too.  Not to take away from Wendy's but it really is BETTER.



Perfectly chunky!


WENDY-ISH Chili
(minus the burps)


2 lb. ground beef, or ground venison, 
or a combination of both, browned, drained, rinsed if you prefer
1-29 oz. can tomato sauce
1-29 oz. can kidney beans with liquid
1-29 oz. can pinto beans 
1 c. diced onion
1/4 c. diced celery
1/2 c. diced green chilis
3 medium tomatoes chopped, if you have them 
**If you don't have fresh, don't worry about it, it's just nice if you do have a little fresh, but this is where I use a jar of home-canned, a pint will work.
2-3 t. cumin
3 T. chili powder
1-1/2 t. black pepper, I use coarsely ground
2 t. salt
2 c. water 

Simmer to heat through, stirring occasionally.  
Serve with some oyster crackers and enjoy!




Oh, and I really do need milk with my chili.  
YOU?  
What do you drink with your chili?

1 comment:

  1. This looks yummy! I just found your blog and I'm so happy that I did. I also just followed you. God Bless

    ReplyDelete